Montana's public safety


  • Convicted felony offenders cost Montana taxpayers an average of $65.21-$70.20 per day while being held in county jails in FY 2012.
  • Total number of Sexual or Violent Offender Registry registrants as of October 29, 2014 was 5,711.
  • 24.5% of high school respondents rode with a driver who had been drinking alcohol (in past 30 days).

Featured Maps


Offender Population Rates by County - Per 1,000 Residents

Offender Population Rates by County: Determining offender population rates for Montana counties provides an analysis that corrects for population variances among the counties. For FY 2013-2014, Eastern Montana’s Dawson County joined Western Montana counties Lake, Mineral and Powell, and the Hi-Line’s Hill County, in contributing offenders at rates of 20 or more offenders per 1,000 residents.


County Contributions to Offender Population - June 30, 2014

County Contributions to Offender Population: Montana’s most-populous counties contribute the largest number of offenders to the corrections system. As in the previous biennium, the five counties with the largest population were responsible for 58% of all offenders counted in mid-2014. The other 51 counties combined sent 42% of offenders.


County of Sentence

Inmates Offenders in Alternate Facility Offenders in Prerelease of Offenders on P&P Supervision All Active DOC Offenders Number Per 1000 County Population County Population on July 1 2012
MT 2,609 997 886 10,194 14,686 14.8% 990,898
Selected Counties

Sexual or Violent Offender Registry (SVOR)

Created by the Montana Department of Justice in 1989, the Sexual or Violent Offender Registry (SVOR) is a valuable resource for Montanans to protect their families against sexual or violent offenders. Information can be accessed in more specific geographies, e.g. counties, towns and streets.

Sexual or Violent Offenders - Percent of Population By County

Total Population Offender Population Percent of Total Population
MT 989,415 5,730 0.00579
Selected Counties

High School Youth Risk Behavior Survey

Question Affirmative Response Percent
Drive when drinking alcohol (in past 30 days) 12.6%
Rode with a driver who had been drinking alcohol (in past 30 days) 24.5%
Carried a weapon on school property (in past 30 days) 9.9%
Ever tried cigarette smoking 41.1%
Ever used marijuana 37.6%
Ever took prescription drugs without a doctor’s prescription 16.2%

Page History

View District or County Detail